Get your attention?
This pizza is BOMB.
But first, some context:
My legs are dead and I sweat 20 million gallons of salt from my body yesterday…
…because I ran my SECOND EVER HALF MARATHON!!! #WHOOOO 🙂 🙂 🙂
I chose to run this half marathon along the Shoreline of Long Beach because I love the refreshing breeze and relaxing views a beach atmosphere provides.
I’m also a self-diagnosed beach obsessed human because I am from South Florida (where going to the beach is inevitable), studied abroad in Cannes, France (where the beach was a 2 minute walk from my campus AND yes, I went there a lot), and I currently live in Southern California where the beaches are THE BEST (except for the water, its way too cold out here)!!!
So with that all said and done, I needed a salt heavy indulgence to replenish my body’s lost sodium content. And VOILA! This beautiful babe of a pizza was born.
DISCLAIMER: I was gonna spoon the pesto (AKA those green caterpillar lookin’ things in the pic) into a zipbloc bag and cut the end so I could squirt a beautiful zig zag pattern across the top but WE WERE OUT. UGHHHHHH.
At least this beaut doesn’t lack in taste. 😉
- 1 bag Trader Joe’s whole wheat pizza crust
- Sauce of choice (I like Ralph’s Simple Truth mushroom pasta sauce)
- 2 cups diced organic butternut squash
- 1 cup diced organic cremini mushrooms
- 1.5 tbsp olive oil
- Dash of cumin
- Dash of fennel seeds
- 1 cup circle-cut zucchini
- Dash of vegetable grilling seasoning
- 1 cup Whole Foods pre-cooked/marinated artichoke hearts
- A few scoops of cashew bleu cheese (SEPARATE RECIPE BY KRISTY TURNER SRY)
- Trader Joe’s organic kale and cashew pesto #newitemdrop
- Pre-heat oven to 375. Combine butternut squash and mushrooms in a bowl with olive oil, cumin, and fennel seeds. Place on cookie sheet in oven for 15 mins. Flip, then cook for another 7 mins. (Approx b/c all ovens are different)
- Place zucchini slices in bowl, add a splash of water, and drench them in the grilling seasoning (I bought mine at Sprouts).
- Place zucchini on grill (I use a lil George Foreman) for about 3 mins each side.
- When your butternut squash//mushroom combo is done, #turnup da heat on that oven to 450.
- Open the bag of pizza dough. Add about 2 tsp of flour (I used chickpea flour) and spread throughout entire outer-side of dough. Cover base of new cookie sheet in flour. Spread the dough slowly with fingers, lift it up and let it fall to lengthen (BUT DON’T LET IT BREAK). If you have a rolling pin this works better and you should probably use it and ignore what I said above. BUT IF YOU DON’T, LIKE ME, BE EXTRA CAREFUL NOT TO LET HOLES FORM IN THE DOUGH.
- On your now perfectly flattened dough (I hope ;)) spread desired amount of sauce with a butter knife. Add the slices of grilled zucchini. Sprinkle the butternut squash//mushroom combo. Strategically place the artichoke hearts (which are pre-made so you don’t have to do anything other than open the bag). Add a few dollops of the cashew bleu cheese.
- POP DAT SUCKA IN THE OVEN FOR 10 MINS.
- Add the kale cashew pesto however you so please. If you have a zipbloc and do the trick I failed to do (mentioned above) please send me a pic!!!!
And enjoy 🙂
***goes great with a topping of fresh arugula. ❤