It’s a double recipe special!!! Both the chips and the hummus are such super stars they stand out on their own. But if you’re like me and combine these bold flavors together, just know that your taste buds will def be in for a surprise. And no, its not a bad one. Just a LOT of amazing flavors going on here. Expect your tongue to go into a major tail spin.
If you have more of a simple palate (and what I recommend), pair the eggplant chips with your favorite guac and spread the hummus on a wrap, sandwich, or pair with your fave raw or roasted vegetables.
Wow, this all sounds good Rebi…but…your title….what is a Kalel? Not a what but a who, people. Kalel is one of my FAVORITE YouTubers. I started watching her channel about a year ago; she’s a food obsessed vegan who posts about recipes, lifestyle, etc. and she loves animals. Especially her two cats, Buki and Cheebs. You can find her channel linked here. SIDE NOTE: She’s recently re-vamped her YouTube channel (so sad), meaning most of her videos aren’t there anymore. But this girl rocks in the kitchen. I highly recommend watching her A Vegan Thanksgiving and What I Ate Today [Vegan+Healthy] (where I got the inspo for this hummus recipe from) videos to see what she can do.
ONWARD! Minimal time and prep go into these beauties. The hummus is best eaten cold and the chips, best eaten warm. Aaaaand since they serve as a great snack, they are kind of sort of PERF for football season. Haha, not that I rly care about that part tho. 😉
KALEL’S HUMMUS INGREDIENTS:
- 1 15 oz. can unsalted organic chickpeas, rinsed and drained
- 3/4 of a lemon, juiced
- 1 tbsp minced or finely chopped garlic
- Garlic Powder
- Water, divided
KALEL’S HUMMUS INSTRUCTIONS:
- Place chickpeas, lemon juice, and garlic into a blender or food processor. Pulse until smooth. If still too chunky, add small splashes of water (I’d say by the tbsp.) until at desired consistency.
- Add salt, pepper, cumin (small amount), garlic powder (I use tons), and turmeric (2-3 shakes will do). What’s nice about this recipe is that there are no set measurements, just keep adding your desired seasonings until it meets your optimal flavored desire. Continue adding water and/or lemon juice if need be.
- That’s it! 🙂
EGGPLANT CHIPS INGREDIENTS:
- 1 eggplant
- 1 tsp olive oil
- Garlic powder
- Red Pepper Flakes
EGGPLANT CHIPS INSTRUCTIONS:
- Pre-heat oven to 375.
- Thinly slice 1-3 medallions off the eggplant, width-wise. Slice into quarters and place into bowl. Drizzle olive oil, add a sprinkle of garlic powder, pepper, and red pepper flakes. Swish around with fingers so that all the eggplant slices are covered evenly. SIDE NOTE: You can skip the red pepper flakes if you’re not into spiciness, but if you like the heat like me, def kick it up a notch by sprinkling that shit everywhere.
- Continue same process for the rest of the eggplant.
- Lay out eggplant slices onto a cookie sheet and place into oven for 10 minutes. Take out, turn, and bake for another 10 minutes.
- Enjoy immediately, while fresh, hot, and crispy 🙂