I’ve heard many things about cauliflower pizza crust. It’s trendy. It’s a healthy alternative. It takes forever to make. I spent hours on it and it turned out horrible.
The only thing I hate more than a recipe that takes more than 30 minutes to make is one that doesn’t even cut the taste bud requirement. But I have always wanted to try making this vegetable infused crust so after much research, I finally decided to take a crack at it.
And yes, I hacked the process.
Half the recipe I found requires you to chop up a head of cauliflower, pulse the florets through a food processor until it becomes a rice, place the rice in the microwave, then when its cool ring out the water.
I did exactly none of that.
Instead, I bought cauliflower rice at Trader Joe’s! 🙂 2/3 of a cup is all you need to equal out the one head of cauliflower and none of that horrible labor is required. The rest of the process probably took me 30 minutes or less and the results were actually perfection.
Take advantage of pre-chopped veggies and fruits, people. It saves so much time and tastes just as good as if you were to do it yourself…its not like its been cooked yet. I found that this recipe makes a great lunch or dinner and you can totally make the “dough” for the crust ahead of time, saran wrap it and place it in the refrigerator for quick pizzas you can throw in the oven during the week.
Now the recipe…
- 2/3 cup riced cauliflower
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 3/4 cup reduced fat shredded mozzarella cheese, divided
- 1/2 teaspoon dried basil
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- Dash of red pepper flakes
- 3 tbsp egg whites
- Heirloom Tomato
- Preheat oven to 450.
- In bowl combine riced cauliflower, 2/4 cup reduced fat shredded mozzarella cheese, basil, oregano, garlic powder, red pepper flakes, and egg whites. Stir together.
- Add teaspoon olive oil to baking sheet, spread, and dump cauliflower mixture onto it. Press down creating an approx. 10 inch wide crust.
- Throw into oven for about 8-11 minutes or until crust is browned.
- Remove and place remaining cheese and sliced tomatoes on top.
- Return to oven for about 5 minutes until remaining cheese has melted.
- Remove once more, top with arugula and serve. 🙂