Yummy, yummy, yummy. This dish was TO DIE for…especially for a cheese lover like me. And the best part is: it’s cholesterol friendly! I know, you wouldn’t think. Right?
I devoured this dish prettttty fast ngl. If anyone were watching me they would have probably assumed I hadn’t eaten in days. I used the same salad as with the salmon (romaine, grape tomatoes) but added 1/2 a chopped avocado this time. Yes it’s a little brown but just ignore that part. It’s nice to know that a comfort food can be kind to your health. Typical skillet mac n cheese offers contentment by providing warm hugs to your tastebuds, whispering love ballads and promising to be your friend (ok not really, but it feels like it), while it secretly plots to sabotage your arteries with its high fat content.
So the recipe…be warned it makes 6 servings. This is not all for you! But have fun making it. And remember to share.
- 3 cups whole wheat pasta (I used spirals b/c they’re fun)
- 3 cups broccoli, chopped
- 4 teaspoons all purpose flour
- 1 1/2 cups almond milk (or dairy/non-dairy of choice) divided
- 2 cups reduced fat sharp cheddar cheese, shredded, divided
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 2 teaspoons hot sauce (adds a nice kick)
- Pre-heat oven to 350 degrees
- Bring two pots of water to a boil– boil pasta (10 mins) and broccoli (6 mins)
- Combine 1/2 cup milk and flour into pot, stir, slowly add more milk and bring to a boil. Let it cook for 1 minute then remove from heat and let stand for 4 mins.
- Stir 1 1/2 cups cheese, garlic powder, and hot sauce into mixture. Add pasta and broccoli, stir some more.
- Pour into a baking dish (I ratchet-fied this part and stuck the pot in the oven because we don’t have a one at the moment).
- Top with remaining 1/2 cup of cheese (I used reduced fat shredded mozzarella for this part) and broil for approx. 10 mins